Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Maybe I ought to post something, instead of randomly trolling your blogs and wishing you'd write more often!

Some random thoughts about my life. . .
Jonathan is officially 3 weeks old. It's gone by so fast. The last few weeks have been so interesting. I can't believe I have forgotten so much about newborns. Everytime I change the baby's diaper, I can't believe he is so little.
Breastfeeding has been a bit of a challenge. It's been nearly six years since I have breastfed a baby. I didn't nurse Brooke because of my health and concerns about my medication. I decided to give nursing a try this time, since things are pretty stable. All my doctors were supportive of the decision. Jonathan took to nursing right away. A lot of the tricks came back to me pretty quickly. But I forgot how sore breasts can be when the milk comes in. I'm still dealing with tenderness, but things are improving. I'm trying to maintain my health and keep up my supply of milk. That means I have to eat A LOT and drink A LOT. I already had trouble gaining weight during my pregnancy. I don't want to waste down to nothing while I nurse Jonathan.
Yesterday,Trent brought home a letter from his school. One of the girls in his class lost her father two days ago. He died after battling with cancer for a long time. The letter contained information about talking to children about death. I was talking to Trent about it and asked if he understood what death is. He said, "Yes, Mom I know what it is. We've had three cases in our family." I couldn't think of three people who had died in our family so asked what he meant. "Mom, we've had Grandpa Artis die, your aunt died, and Popcorn died." It was so funny that I couldn't help laughing. Popcorn was my youngest sister's dog. I forgot how much children attach to pets.
I attended parent-teacher conferences today. I was so happy with the meetings. Walter has worked so hard this year and has made such improvements. Last year was such a struggle for all of us as Walter floundered with organization, behavior in the classroom, spelling, handwriting, completing homework, etc. He is doing extraordinarily well this year. I heard nothing but compliments from both of his teachers. The best part is that Walter has diligently worked to improve various habits and it really is paying off. I'm thrilled that is learning such good habits.
Trent is doing pretty well in school. His teacher commented that his main problem is sitting still in class. It's hard for such an active boy to sit still. He definitely is on the right track.
Josef is also doing well. He is really making progress with his reading. He's fitting in well with class and making friends.
We went to Sears to take family pictures. I had a coupon that advertised a great deal. But when we arrived at the store, I realized I had forgotten the coupon. Brent went into the store to find out if we could bring the coupon in later while I fed the baby. We found out they charged an extra sitting fee per person. So the great deal wasn't so great. But since we already had everyone dressed and ready for the pictures, we decided to get pictures anyway and just order a few sheets with a 20% in store coupon. The kids were great for the photos. Jonathan slept the whole session, until he threw up all over himself and his brother. Fortunately, that happened near the end of the session. As we were driving home Brent remembered that he had a bright yellow comb in his breast pocket the entire session. We laughed until we cried about it. I hope it doesn't show up in the pictures.
Well, that is all I can think of now.

3 comments:

  1. Great update. Glad all is going so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure you don't wish i wrote more often, tiff! not that i write every day, but when i write, you probably get more than you wish! anyway, great to hear your voice and that the kids are doing well. got a laugh out of the yellow comb! :) xox laurel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when you were struggling so much with Walter last year -- amazing how much things can change so (relatively) quickly, isn't it? I read through some of my journal from six months ago and realize how many of the things I worried so greatly about (Michael's reading, Joey's attitude about work, etc.) really aren't concerns anymore. I think it's because Heavenly Father watches after us mothers and blesses us. And kids mature sometimes very quickly.

    ReplyDelete