Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Thoughts a mother normally doesn't have at the grocery store at 5 p.m. with four kids in tow

Walter is performing as part of the chorus in our elementary school's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. In a very foolish moment, I volunteered to help, given that I have a decent amount of theater experience and have musical talents. Foolish me. It has been sacrifice to say the least for the whole family. Walter would practice while Trent and Josef ran around the auditorium. Brooke, poor dear, is usually confined to her stroller while I played the piano. So yes, it has been very hard. The kids perform this Friday. We have three practices this week, plus a school performance on Friday and then the big performance in the evening.

Today was slightly different as we ran completely through the whole show with props. The music teacher was playing the piano and I was backstage, helping the kids. Trent and Josef sat in the seats with Brooke in her stroller. They kept her entertained for most of the practice. I eventually let her out of her stroller and she stayed with her brothers. I was so happy I could nearly cry.

I had been out the whole day so after the practice we ran to the grocery store desperate to find something for dinner that wouldn't require large amounts of time to prepare. The kids chatted and played while we scoured the aisles. Finally, with very little pain and anquish, we made our way to the cashier. My kids excitedly told the cashier about the special treat they had gotten (kid's cuisine t.v. dinners--yes, the dinner for champions!) and were so happy. Both the cashier and the lady bagging our groceries chatted with the kids and smiled at me. As I watched the whole exchange, I just felt SO happy that I was the mother to these four great kids. Yes, I know not typical for a grocery store experience.

2 comments:

  1. What a great blessing. Those are the type of moments that make it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete