Monday, December 14, 2009

Tis the Season to be Jolly





Snow Day
Early Wednesday morning the phone rang with an automated message that school was delayed two hours. Then an hour later, we got another message saying that school was cancelled for the day. There was joy and rejoicing in our home! Much to the boys' dismay I had jobs for them to do. They worked for a bit and then played in their rooms. Brooke and Jonathan were both miserable from colds so we spent the afternoon on the couch, watching a movie.

Christmas Shopping
Friday morning Brent and I hit the stores to finish our Christmas shopping. Brent is extremely efficient and so the shopping took much less time if I had done it alone. I also got an eye exam and picked out two new pairs of glasses. It's been nearly seven years since my last eye exam. The optometrist said that my prescription hasn't changed at all. I'm so excited for my new glasses.

On Saturday, we piled the kids in the car and took them shopping for each other. We took each child into the store individually while a parent and the other kids waited in the car. Brooke, as shown in the picture, was NOT happy about waiting in the car. After we completed the shopping, we went to Olive Garden for lunch. The kids behaved perfectly. They were all so excited about the food and especially the breadsticks. It really was a lovely meal.

Unfortunately, our drive was awful after shopping, taking us two hours to drive 20 miles. Traffic was really, really bad.

Ice Storm
I stayed home from church with Brooke, Josef and Jonathan because they all had colds. Brent called me after church to tell me that they were stuck at the church because of an ice storm. The roads were heavy with black ice. Fortunately, they didn't have to wait alone since there were several other families waiting out the storm. Brent said they ended up having an impromptu party, without the food. Finally, the Young Women President broke out the fruit baskets the young women had prepared for a service project. Apparently there was much rejoicing. They even found some Hawaiian Red Punch and decided to try the punch fountain. While cleaning the fountain, they didn't put the top on and enjoyed a spectacular explosion of soapy water in the kitchen. Finally, the snow storm passed, the plows hit the streets and Brent and the boys were able to come home.

Ward Christmas Party
We had a nice Christmas party on Friday evening. The kids sang their songs well. Santa paid a visit to the church. Brooke ran to meet him and gave him the biggest hug. It was so cute.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Heehee, all cuteness. This year was the first year we had the kids buy for each other (I know, how did I overlook that for so long?). We asked them if they were willing to give up their allowance and split it between the 5 of them to buy gifts for each other and they actually agreed! So we each took half the kids (OK, I took 2, and Robert took 3) and split up in Super Target to pick gifts for about 5 dollars or less. It was eye opening, as to the kids personalities and how little 5$ can get you at Super Target nowadays! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete