Sometimes mothering really gets in the way of getting work done around the house. Sometimes I long for the time when:
It doesn't take two hours to pay bills because I can't sit for a set period of time concentrating on the task at hand.
(But then my three-year old daughter won't play with my hair and tell me how pretty I am. And my baby won't grab my nose and make me laugh when I'm trying to make sure I've paid everything. I won't feel the sense of urgency that a baby makes me feel--that I am his whole world and he needs me NOW!)
I long for the time when I can clean my kitchen without having to mop up the spills from my daughter's tea party.
(But then I'll miss her trying desperately try to mimic me and being so earnestly helpful.)
My living room will stay clean for more than 10 minutes.
(But I'll miss the crayons on the floor, blankets on the couch, and train tracks set up that show active, creative kids at play.)
I'll be able to sit outside on a warm day and read an entire magazine or book.
(But then I'll miss seeing Walter diligently helping Josef master the art of riding a two-wheeler sans training wheels. I'll miss the pure delight of children at play on a spring day, getting muddy from the puddles, but so gloriously happy that it makes me happy.)
I'll be able to keep bathrooms clean longer than one day.
(But then I'll miss the splashes of pee on the wall. No wait, I WON'T miss that EVER.)
I'll have a leisured evening hour where I prepare dinner and then quietly visit with my husband.
(But then I'll miss watching my kids share what they learned at school while doing homework. I'll miss the corny jokes and the triumph when someone aces a test.)
Come to think of it, maybe it's WORK that gets in the way sometimes.
Tiff-
ReplyDeleteThat was really great and beautiful. You should submit it to the Ensign.
I really liked this. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully expressed.
ReplyDelete