Saturday, September 5, 2009

The first week of September 2009

I have finally started taking pictures! Hooray! However, I cannot find the cable which downloads the pictures to my computer. I suppose it is in one of the few boxes we have yet to unpack. But I'm trying to be better about chronicling our lives. So here is a run-down of this week's adventures:

1. Visited an "interpretive farm" where we were uninpressed. We missed the milking of the cows and the early 20th century farmhouse was closed to visitors. So driving for over an hour total for a mere hour's worth of "education" felt rather worthless. I have a feeling this farm does much more for the general population than for a girl who used to regularly visit her best friend's dairy farm.

2. Treated two wasp stings: Trent and Walter were both stung by some angry wasps. The wasps are really bad this fall--and are pretty aggressive to boot.

3. Finished the final school shopping. All children have a complete set of school supplies and all school clothing needs were met.

4. Ventured to the outlet stores where I found some incredible deals at Carter's. I bought several things for the baby and purchased clothes for my sister's baby and my sister-in-law's baby. We are all having boys. I also got a great deal on a nice diaper bag. I've never had a nice diaper bag--just the free ones they give you at the hospital. This one is pretty and doesn't scream--DIAPER BAG.

5. The boys started school. Josef is in first grade and has Mrs. Ricci. Trent is in second grade and has Mrs. Johnson. Walter is in fourth grade and has Mrs. Kuchera. They all like their new school. This is a big and exciting year for Walter. He switches classrooms in the afternoon for certain subjects, Spanish is being taught, and he can be in Band. He has requested a drum set.

6. We finally got a water filter system installed. So we now can drink fresh water from the tap. We have a well and the water tastes horrible. We had to do a lot of research as to the most effective, cost-efficient and environmentally sound solution. We ended up purchasing a water-filtration from Culligan. It works great and I'm happy not to use bottled water.

7. Trent and Josef were playing around on Thursday evening when they were supposed to be in bed. Josef knocked Trent into the corner of the dresser. Trent cut his forehead. As I cleaned up the wreckage, I debated whether or not to take him (and drag all the kids out of bed) to the emergency room. The cut had split open but wasn't deep so I opted to ask Brent to buy some steri-strips and take him to the doctor the next day. The visit to the doctor wasn't even necessary. The strips worked beautifully and all is well. However, Trent needs just one more cut on his forehead to finally have a Harry Potter zig-zag scar.

8. Brooke split her lip open yesterday when she fell down the stairs. More blood, lots of tears, and much consoling. I'm tired of head wounds.

9. Brent took the boys on an overnight hiking/camping trip on the Appalachian trail. They hiked to their campsite from our house. From all accounts, the trip has been successful thus far. I'm going to meet them soon and we'll go to the Bear Mountain Zoo and walk across the Bear Mountain Bridge.

10. Brooke and I visited some friends last night on their boat. We had dinner and enjoyed the lovely evening, sunset and fresh air.

Well I need to run and pick up my campers!

1 comment: