Monday, May 11, 2009

May 3-May 10

We had some highs and lows this week.

Low: Tuesday was a real low for the whole family. Walter is singing in the chorus of his school's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I attend the rehearsals and play the piano for the kids. Brooke usually sleeps in her stroller or sits in her stroller. Josef and Trent usually do their homework and play quietly. But this week the boys were TERRIBLE. Trent and Josef interrupted the rehearsal numerous times. Walter would not stay in place and sing. I had to stop playing several times to take care of them. I really wanted to strangle all of them.

High: The kids really tried hard to make Mother's Day memorable and nice. They each made sweet gifts for me. I took them a couple times to Michael's to make some crafts. On Monday, they each made me a pretty corsage. On Wednesday, they made coupon books for me. They were very good at the store, concentrating on their work. I appreciated the corsages--wore them all on Sunday-not at the same time.

Low: I had a lot of meetings this week, usually at times when I was pretty tired and longing for naps.

High: The meetings were all for the Primary activity. It went really well. The kids painted pots, made veggie and fruit pizzas, and planted marigolds. We had a good turnout and the painting wasn't a disaster.

Low: I need to work out a better daily schedule for myself so that I do nap during the day so that I can be ready for the swing shift. You know, the magic time of day when the kids come home and all Hades breaks loose between the homework, snacks, dinner, etc.?

High: I did make up a pre-school routine and after-school routine for the boys. We implemented the evening schedule on Saturday. Bedtime went much better. I've included brief cleaning periods for the boys. And I've also set up individual time with each boy before bedtime. I spend a lot of time collectively with the boys, but not so much individual time. So hopefully, this will make a difference.

Low: The house was pretty much a disaster for most of the week. I do not function well in that kind of a setting.

High: I did clean the house very thoroughly on Thursday. My family has been great at maintaining it the whole weekend, so there was very little to do this morning other than washing the dishes!

Lows: I'm still working on figuring out a good handwriting program for Walter. The specialist I contacted didn't get back to me on time. Also, the poor kid is still suffering from an ear infection. The first round of antibiotics didn't clear up the infection, so now he's taking another antibiotic. He's had a rough bout of sicknesses this year.

Highs: Josef is doing so well with his reading lessons. He concentrates so much better than his brothers did when we went through the lessons. It really is a pleasure to sit together every night and work on the book. Trent also had a great moment last week where he read a very long book to me about pinching crayfish. He has finally turned a corner in his reading and I'm just thrilled.

A couple of funny incidents:

Sunday, Trent was listening to a talk about making good choices or something like that. He whispered to me, "Mom, I know what you have to do. You have to be good everyday. That's really hard for me." It was so funny. Trent has really grown and matured in the past year. And I can say that he does so much better managing his impulses.

I suppose this isn't funny, just sweet, but Brooke sings constantly. She also has elaborate dialogues with her imaginery friends and stuffed animals. She also tells me stories that start with "once upon a time" and end with a very emphatic "the end!"

Updates on Brent and I:
Brent is working hard on some papers to be published. He continues to really carry more than his load at home. I'm very glad. I've been trying to convince him to go see a movie with friends, but alas, his frugality takes issue with the high cost of movie theatre tickets.

I am feeling better everyday. I'm still tired, but I've returned to most of my normal mom duties: cleaning, cooking, homework, etc. I'm trying to be more organized so the house runs smoothly when the baby is born. And knowing me, that's going to take a full six months.

Oh, did I tell you the baby is due around the end of October? And it was a blissful week because I didn't have to go to the doctor for myself once. It must be a record!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment